Works In Progress



On the picture book manuscripts that I’ve written thus far, I typically have not gotten “stuck,” per se.  I usually find that I’m able to craft a beginning, middle, and ending.  Not sure if they’re any good… but complete nonetheless.

I’ve been toying around with an idea for a picture book playing around with the use of color words associated with emotion.  As adults it’s easy for us to understand what it’s like to feel blue and see red.  For children, perhaps not as much.  I think expressions like this are natural to use in everyday speech, including conversations with children.  “Are you just feeling a little blue?”  Especially for the very young, how confusing must that be?!  Feelings are hard to understand and then the idiomatic expressions are even more cryptic!  Woah – poor confused kiddos!

Since my oldest has no shortage of feelings and needs all the help processing them, I feel that this concept of playing around with those expressions we use in picture book format has lots of potential.  But how do you end a story of that nature?  I’m not certain yet.  I’ve been thinking on this one for the better part of six months… and nada.  I hope it’ll come to me soon.  This concept of a story is just a work in progress, I guess.

That’s alright.  Certainly we all, the very young to adults, with all our colors of feelings, are all just works in progress.





#AnitaVP #workinprogress #picturebook #kidlit #writing #writemore #writing #feelingblue #seeingred


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking Up Early

Worth The Listen: Simple Families Podcast

Project Time