I’m So Boring



I have days where I feel like I’m a boring mom.  Not because I think I may be the most “#basic” mom in my mom circles, but rather because I am comfortable letting my tiny humans get bored.


As I began working on this post, Human #1 was outside scraping with my kitchen spatula at a trickle of a stream she had poured.  Boring, right?  In my opinion though, the self-directed play, e.g. being outside using just a few kitchen utensils and her boundless creativity, is good for her brain.  It’s good for the development of her patience.  It’s good for her to soak in some sun and listen to the birds.

I stumbled across an article a couple months ago and I think it merits sharing.  Let Children Get Bored Again in the NYT calls out key differences in parenting today vs. parenting in the generations prior.

When not being uberparented, kids today are left to their own devices — their own digital devices, that is.
-Pamela Paul

My husband and I generally lean quite conservative when it comes to our tiny humans and technology.  We have genuinely shocked people when we explain that we don’t allow our kids to use our smart phones, no screens in the car, and that they don’t have their own tablet.  To each his own.  However, whatever the parenting style, I think this article hits the nail on the head.  Boredom isn’t bad.  (Seriously, give it a read.)

Perhaps though boredom is a terrible word.  Let’s have a little paradigm shift – breathing room.  Children need and deserve breathing room.  Breathing room for creativity, the un-entertained stream of consciousness in their own heads, reading, and freedom to play.







#AnitaVP #boredom #breathingroom #parenting



Like my blog?  Subscribe by email on the left:



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking Up Early

Worth The Listen: Simple Families Podcast

Project Time