The Kitchen Sink



Largely in part, houses are just domiciliary buildings and it’s the people with whom you live that make it into a home.  But it perhaps withstands to say that for someone who has resided in the same house for a significant enough time, certain unique features of a house may be missed after a move.  Of all the things, I think I may miss my kitchen sink.


That’s right.  I may miss my kitchen sink.  (Queue cliché phrase of “we’re taking everything but the kitchen sink.”)  It’s a dark colored composite sink.  I like that it seems to keep clean easier than some sinks and the faucet is nice, but that’s not really what it’s about. 

I’ve heard it said that a sink filled with dirty dishes represents happy mouths having been fed.  It couldn’t be more true.  Countless used dishes in my sink here have been used by people I love, with food that I gladly prepared.  Thus in turn, my empty sink has symbolized full circle accomplishment.  But don’t limit this sink – we’ve cleaned up paint brushes, tennis shoes, and backyard toys.  My children have received many splashy baths here, including some of their firsts.  And perhaps more than anything, my hands have been washed here an innumerable quantity of times, for every reason under the sun.

When I’ve not been able to carve out blissful joy in the above-mentioned perspective alone, my orchids and glass kitras balls have provided a momentary escape for me.  The previous homeowner had the most awful mid-toned wooden blinds on the two corner windows by my sink.  It was truly a freeing day for me when my husband suggested they come down for my sake and then promptly followed through with his idea.  Proper lighting can remedy so much.  After a trip to Morro Bay where I saw a shop filled with kitras balls, I knew my kitchen sink corner was now calling and begging for something unique like this.  Additionally, I can’t grow very much that’s green, but I can (by the grace of God) grow orchids.  With a corner just right for growing orchids and two perfect windows to catch the light through colored glass, my mind can temporarily traipse out elsewhere to somewhere more artistic, bohemian, and creative.

So I may actually miss this kitchen sink.  I can think of few other things in my present life that so accurately and simultaneously embody my accomplishments, gestures of love, firsts with my children, creative inspiration, and escape. 

I’ll be looking carefully, and with hope, at the sinks in my next home.


Dear Next Homeowner,
Please know this sink is a blessing.  I hope you experience the same.
-Anita



#AnitaVP #moving #kitchensink #sink #cleanhands #babybaths #musings #kitras #orchids #Tuesdaythoughts

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking Up Early

Worth The Listen: Simple Families Podcast

Project Time