Hava Nagila & Juxtaposition




One of my favorite things is when I get the sensation that I am actively, in that very moment, living out something that should be from a story. 

Last Wednesday, Macho Man and I were out at a family-owned Mexican restaurant.  There was a middle-aged gentleman at a keyboard providing live entertainment.  I thought to myself, “live traditional music is pretty good for a Wednesday.”  We order our usuals of Tacos al Pastor (yum) and Arroz Con Pollo.  We begin to scarf down our chips and salsa like we’ve never eaten before – and then I paused.  Na na.. “Is that Hava Nagila?”  Na na.. Macho Man, mouth still full of chips, stopped crunching to listen too.  Hava... “That’s Hava Nagila.”  Hava Nagila... It was Hava Nagila.  Hava Nagila Mexican style, on a Casio keyboard.  I don’t know which story I was in there for a moment – but it was awesome!

In the literary sense, juxtaposition is showing contrast by placing concepts side by side.  The juxtaposition of an Israeli folk song at a Mexican restaurant definitely caught my attention.  And don’t get me wrong, it was a little weird, yet thoroughly enjoyable.

Juxtaposition in real life or in books can be lots of fun.  For kicks, you may want to check out this non-Casio keyboard, sophisticated version of what we heard.  Also, one of my favorite picture book manuscripts that I’ve written juxtaposes a pig and the mall.  

Perhaps if it’s a Mexican Hava Nagila, it should be renamed Have-a Tequila.  Just sayin’.





Pictured: A storybook day of Have-a Tequila from moons ago.

#AnitaVP #storybooklife #juxtaposition #tequila #havanagila

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking Up Early

Worth The Listen: Simple Families Podcast

Project Time