I ♥ the Internet: Word Time Traveler



The curio cabinet of the internet delivers up another fun gem.  Check out Merriam-Webster’s Time Traveler site, which shows when words were first recorded as being used.  You can pick a recent year or go back a few centuries.  Really a fun look at how language is always a moving target and there are always new words.  For example, “meow” and “mango” have apparently only been around since 1582. 

It’s also interesting to consider how words have changed in their usage over the years.  I texted my niece a picture of my baby, who was looking extra cute.  She responded with, “That’s so prime.”  I’m amenable to any compliments about my kid, but the first thought on my mind was “Ama…zon… Prime?”  


Apparently, a modern use also means “perfect,” different than how prime was first used as an adjective in the 15th century to meaning “first in time.”  Second children everywhere are now also allowed to feel… prime!  (Huzzah for irony!) (Thanks, Ella, for keeping me young.)

What words came about the year you were born?  What words have totally morphed?

And don’t worry, I didn’t know what aquafaba was either.











#AnitaVP #Prime #LinguisticsFun #TimeTravel #doubleententre

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Waking Up Early

Worth The Listen: Simple Families Podcast

Project Time